Saturday 9 July 2011

God in Marriages

Recently, i sat on my sofa to enjoy a reality tv show known as “the stella damscus show”, about 30mins into the show, the guest speaker said something which struck me.
She said, “Many couples have problems in their marriages because right from the altar they fail to put God first”. I suddenly realised how true the statement was. This statement took me back to some engagement ceremonies, where a lot of gifts are set before the couple and these gifts usually include the bible, household appliances and baby products. During the ceremony, the couple are then asked to pick a gift and they always happen to end up picking the bible.
On another occasion, i got up one morning, feeling refreshed after a long night rest. Not forgetting the fact that I tossed and turned about a 100 times before finally going into dreamland. That’s by the way; I got on my lappy and opened the Bella Naija website. Well I went on this website because; I wanted to stay up to date with the socials going on in my country. But this turned out to be the inspiration of what you about to read. I clicked on the weddings icon and went through the pictures. A particular pic caught my attention and a word dropped in my heart. It was an engagement picture, where this beautifully dressed lady posed with a bible lifted high in her palms.
Both incidences have always prompted me to ask these questions, “is this just for show or to please people? And how relevant is the bible in most Christian homes? (Forgetting that there is a reason for everything under the sun) or do they ever consult God when they face hardships?”.
The bible, as most of us know is God’s word and where most believers run to for spiritual back up. A lot of people do not understand the significance of picking the bible. From my understanding, i see it as laying the foundations of marriage on the word of God.
I believe that in marriages you should always put God first and this means focusing and trusting Him for physical and emotional needs just as Matt 6:33 says “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well”, doing this will help build the marriage on Godly foundations which not only strengthen the bonds between the couple and will also help them develop Christian values as well.
Other ways of including God in one’s marriage is through constant prayer, spiritual discussions. Another thing which i believe would work incredibly well is being surrounded with other Christian couples as friends and this would involve things like fellowships which would encourage constant communication with God.

3 comments:

  1. Preach the word sister(I SEE D BIMBO ODUKOYA IN U)...nicceeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ element: u welkum
    @gbade: lol @ Bimbo Odukoya, i neva saw dat coming

    ReplyDelete